My Dad has a wonderful tradition of buying us gifts each time he takes a business trip, and over the years I have accumulated a wonderful collection of relics from all over the World. One thing that tends to be repeated is t-shirts, and while they often have cool designs, the fit is always boring and definitely not my usual style! I have taken to altering and customising them myself, cutting off the sleeves to make low side cut vests or, as in this case, chopping off the bottom to create a cool crop top. Trust me when I say that it is really easy, and pretty much anyone can do it!
You Will Need
- Your t-shirt
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Dressmakers chalk
- Measuring Tape
- Needle & Thread (optional)
- Start by ironing your t-shirt. The flatter it is, the more likely your finish will be even.
- Turn your t-shirt inside out and put it on. look in the mirror and see how long you want your crop top to be (often this is the mid-point between the narrowest part of your waist and where the bottom of your bra sits) and mark the point with dressmakers chalk.
- Take off your t-shirt and lie it flat, matching the shoulders and side seams and making sure there are no creases.
- Measure from the bottom hem to where your chalk line is, and work across the whole of the t-shirt marking small lines at the correct distance.
- Carefully cut along the lines, making sure to keep both sides of the t-shirt together and even.
- Turn the right way out et voila! A super simple crop top!
Now for the optional part! I also wanted to turn up the sleeves of my t-shirt for a cooler look…
- Fold the hem of each sleeve over twice.
- Press with the iron to hold in place.
- Stitch a small tack at the top and bottom of each turn-up to keep in place.
There you have it, a cool crop top from a boring t-shirt in just a few minutes! Have you tried customising your clothes? Do you have any tips to share? I’d love to read them in the comments!
Thanks for reading, until next time!