I first made a variation of this recipe maybe four or five years ago, loved it, and then proceeded to forget about it until now! It’s not exactly healthy, but it’s not as bad as the buttercream topped sugary delights that I’m used to making! I can’t get through the day without something sweet. I’m sure that’s something I should be working to overcome, but for now I’m happy to experiment with recipes that are a little friendlier for my new, healthier-minded self!
To make these apple and cinnamon muffins you will need:
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and chopped
115g demerara sugar
200g plain flour
85g wholemeal flour
4tsp baking powder
60g chopped walnuts
4tbsp sunflower oil
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
- Mix the apple and 4tbsp of the sugar in a bowl and set to one side.
- Sift both flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl and stir in the sugar and pecans. Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the milk, oil and egg well and add to the apple, then pour the wet ingredients into the well of the flour and mix until you have a lumpy batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until brown. Serve warm or cool.
Have you got any healthy(ish) baking recipes I could try? I’m always on the look out for a new sweet treat! Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading, until next time!