When you’re a little short on cash, it can be difficult to know what to do for a date. Dinner and a movie is obviously a go-to, but can be quite a blow to your bank balance, so I’ve compiled a list of fun date ideas for the more frugal among us. Whether you’re going on a first date or making an effort with a long-term partner, these creative ideas have got you covered.
1. Take a hike. Walking is great, it gets you out in the fresh air and exercise makes you feel good. Plus, there’s something about being on the move that helps a conversation to flow freely. Research you local parks and trails, or have a look on treasuretrails.co.uk. It’s a great website with themed trails all over the country, and for about £6 you can spend a few hours discovering a new town or learning something new about where you live.
2. Do a puzzle. Jigsaw puzzles are a go-to for us. They’re fun and challenging, and it’s great to work together on something. Depending on the size you go for they can last a few days, and the sense of achievement you get from finishing one is awesome! Brand new they can be pretty expensive, but you can always find them in charity shops or on eBay for a few quid.
3. Visit a museum or gallery. It’s surpirising how many museums and galleries there are, even in smaller towns, so do a bit of research and see what’s local to you. Often entry is free, or just a few pounds and you can spend as long as you like exploring the exhibits and learning together.
4. Have a picnic. Pack up a basket, grab a blanket and head outside for a picnic. Visit your local park or even stay at home in the back garden!
5. Dinner date at home. Spend some time cooking together, lay the table, light some candles and get dressed up just as if you were heading out to a fancy restaurant. It’s amazing how much difference a little effort can bring to your typical evening meal.
6. Get creative. Have a little fun getting creative together. Decorate a room in your house, work on a crafty project or get your hands dirty in the garden. Whatever you do, just make it fun and do it together!
7. Teach each other something. Everyone’s got a skill, so pass yours on to your date. Whether you play an instrument, knit, or you’re kick-ass at video games, share it with your partner and help them to learn.
8. Go to a local gig. Find a local venue or pub that holds live music nights and head on down. Support an up-and-coming band or get involved in an open mic, and with entry often free or less than a tenner it’s easy on the ££ s too.
9. Find your nearest outdoor cinema. There are tonnes of outdoor cinemas cropping up all over the country, so wrap up warm and go to see one of the classics under the stars.
10. Challenge your friends to a game night. Extend your date invitation to your friends and get together for a games night. Split into teams and play your favourite board games. Pictionary is always a great idea, but I can recommend Cranium for a good laugh!
Have you got any ideas for dating on the cheap? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading, until next time!